Jumpstart!


Today I jumped into jumpstart! It was my first time going, so I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.
When I walked in, I explored the building a little bit. I noticed all the toys, the books and the plants that the kids had planted. Seeing all of this made me excited for the kids to get there!

When they first arrived, they watered their plants. Then we all got ready to go outside and since it was the first time outside since before winter, they were very excited!

When we were outside, we began playing tag with some of the younger kids. The older students were painting words on the fence, like "justice." I'm not positive what they were doing, but it kept them busy and they seemed to be pretty involved.

As usual, I loved being with the younger students. When we were given a scavenger hunt to work on, I was with these two younger girls who had to be maybe 5 years old. I love that age! We began working on it, addressing the question that asked, "What colors can you see in the garden?" We looked for colors, and then kept looking for colors, which escalated into looking for worms. I knew that the scavenger hunt wasn't that serious, and the two girls were so intensely interested in this worm search, that I just stood with them and put in comments/questions/concerns every couple of minutes. It is so interesting to see young kids be so curious when it comes to the smallest things.


After a little while outside, we went back inside. The students were given journals in which they had to write their favorite part of the day and draw a picture of it. Of course the two girls I was with drew worms!! After completing that, they were all given a snack and played inside. Sooner than later, it was time to go back outside! For this time outside, we played duck duck goose. I never knew how intense this game was, but these kids are very serious about it!

We continued playing until it was time to go. It was crazy how fast time went by and how attached those little kids become after just a couple hours. I wish I could go back every friday, but there is never any time for me to.

Comments

  1. Hi Anna! It is so great that you got to go to Jump Start when the kids were working on the garden. I went earlier in the semester and it was still cold, so the garden was still in the planning stage. It was fun listening to the children decide what types of plants they wanted to add to their garden. The students were very interested and excited to learn the days I went as well. I am going to miss them, they were great kids!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts